And whoever welcomes a child like this in My name welcomes me. Matthew 18:5

Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Time Flies When You're Trying To Get There

I can't believe I'm going into my fourth year of teaching Sunday School! It seems like just yesterday I was starting off. I still remember the first lesson I ever taught was about Adam and Eve. I was so nervous, I was literally shaking. The kids were some of my friends brothers and sisters, and to them I was just their sister's friend. The transitioning period from "that girl my sister hangs out with" to Sunday School Teacher, admittedly took longer than I expected. I think that's the most important thing I've learned from being a Sunday School Teacher, you have to love and accept yourself where you're at.
Example, when I started this, to tell the truth, I didn't really like kids all that much I thought they were gross and annoying. I never thought I would see the day I would be mopping up puke, or holding a hand that had recently been up a nostril, or even comforting a kid...I was never the touchy feely emotional type even when I was a kid. All that was not in the job description. You see, I didn't get into Children's Ministry because I loved kids, I did it because I love God and I felt that was were he was leading me. Now, I can mop up puke and other unidentifiable liquids that seem to constantly come out of kids without gagging, I can see a kid pick their nose then want to give me a hug and I don't even flinch, and if I see a kid is sad or crying I want to be the first one there with a hug and a "Do you want to talk?" It was cool to see God put those things into me, and give me a true love for His babies. I can't pretend that I'm the best Sunday School Teacher ever, or that I don't have more growing to do, but I do know that I'm better than I was yesterday; and isn't that really the point? I tell the kids all the time that I may be the teacher, but I learn things in Sunday School too. Those kids have been my best teachers, cheerleaders, and humblers on occasion. lol.
I think that this can even be applied in our daily lives. My pastor once preached a message called "A Place Called There" where he talked about reaching that infamous proverbial mile stone of "There", I.E. "If I can just get there/do that I'll know I've made it!" Pastor brought out the point that if we really ever reach "There" then we're ready to die because our race is finished, we've done all God has called us to do. His point was that we're always changing and always growing, and we shouldn't rush God's process trying to get to the impossible perfection of "There." I think we've all probably been guilty of that in our lives.
"If I can just lose ten more pounds..."
"If I can just have a few more friends..."
"If I can just make more money..."
"If my Children's Ministry was just bigger..."
"If I can just get married..."
ETC...
We rush God's plans and we end up overlooking the awesome things that he's doing in the here and now trying to get to "There."
The Bible says in Zech. 4:10 NLT, "Do not despise these small beginnings, for the Lord rejoices to see the work begin."
We spend our time complaining about how we aren't "There" yet when God is saying quit complaining and let Me help you get "There", you can't do it on your own.
I've said all that to say this, Maybe you've been frustrated because you don't feel like you're the teacher you can be, or your class isn't growing, or maybe you're going through one of those my class is a zoo phases...I've been there...just remember, don't despise your meager beginnings.
The inspiration for this post came from me looking at pictures of my old classroom. It was so tight and cramped, we've outgrown it now and I was glad to get a large space with a sound system and a stage. Looking four years later though, I would love to go back to that little classroom for a while. and be with those kids learning about Jesus. So many of my very first babies have moved on to youth group now, I still get visits from them every now and again but sometimes I do miss seeing those faces on Sunday morning. I spent so much of my time then trying to grow and get bigger and better. be a better teacher, get a bigger class, do more over the top things; if I could just grow more I would get "There!" God was growing me all along and didn't even have to good sense to pay attention, I just needed to follow His lead. It's really that easy, we teach it all the time. Sometimes I think we would do well to listen to what we're teaching ourselves...=]
So, don't forget to enjoy you're here and now, because once it's gone you can't get it back. You may not be where you want to be today or even tomorrow, but one day you'll turn around and realize God was leading you "There" all along. Your big changes just came one day at a time. So, embrace your growing moments, your trying moments, your fun moments, your silly moments, and every moment in between. Children's Ministry is a wild ride, but it's sure worth the trip.

Love and Blessings,
Faith

No comments:

Post a Comment